does your cat prefer a vegetarian meal over one which contains meat?

Well, I haven't tried a lot of non-vegan food on them. However, both of them, when I got them, had to be transitioned from the food they came with, to the vegan food. So I fed a mixture of both and they would eat the vegan kibbles first. But that's probably just because that kind contained nutritional yeast which cats are known to love the taste of (along with garbanzo beans, tomato sauce and garlic, lol).

I have since switched them to food made with a cat-food supplement I bought online, mixed into different recipes the stuff comes with. The one cat seemed to like the homemade food more and the other seemed to like it less than the commercially-made vegan kibbles, though I'm discovering that she might be allergic to soy, so I'm switching them back to the original, commercial vegan food now.

I don't know whether they like the taste of the homemade stuff better than the meat-based stuff or not, because I never fed them side-by-side, but it probably varies depending on which recipe you follow or which cat food you buy, and I'm sure it varies from cat to cat depending upon personal preference for wet or dry food, and in my one cat's case, allergies.